Exporting Outlook Data to a PST
You can use the Import And Export Wizard to export messages to a file. Using the Import And Export Wizard to export messages works in a similar way to AutoArchive; the major difference is that when messages in the store are exported, they aren't removed; instead, they are copied, as they are during backup.
To export some or all of your Outlook data, follow these steps:
- Choose File, Import And Export to start the Import And Export Wizard, as shown in figure below.
- Select Export To A File and click Next.
- Select Personal Folder File (.pst) and click Next.
- On the Export Personal Folders page, select the folder you want to export. To include subfolders of the selected folder, select the Include Subfolders option. To export all of your Outlook data, choose the Mailbox or Personal Folders branch and select the Include Subfolders option.
Note.It isn't easy to export just a selection of folders. If you want to export only the Inbox and the Sent Items folders, for example, you must run the export twice: once for the Inbox and then again for Sent Items, specifying the same backup PST location each time.
- If you want to specify a filter, click Filter. Figure below shows the Filter dialog box. By using a filter, you can specify that only certain items are exported. After you've specified any needed filters, click OK to close the Filter dialog box and return to the wizard page. Then click Next.
- On the final wizard page, specify the location where you want to save exported information and specify how duplicate items should be handled. If no export file exists, specify the path and name of the file to be created. If an export file does exist, browse to the file you want to use. When you click Finish, the wizard creates the personal folders file (if it is new), runs the export, and then closes the file.